Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Note Fairy #1


We have a note fairy residing at our house and her name is Rachel. She often sneaks around leaving colorful drawings and extreme expressions of her devotion to us. She uses lots of exclamation points and makes it clear that she loves us soooooooooooo much. I'm one of those moms that doesn't allow her kids to use tape on the walls...no posters on the bedroom door, no school projects tacked around the walls. I admit it, I'm a bit protective of my paint job. But when Rachel tapes a love note to my closet door, I cannot, will not, could not think of removing it or disciplining her. I may be nuerotic about my paint, but even I realize this phase of adoring admiration and affection from my Rachel is surely fleeting. I like to think that when she's a teenager and filled with attitude and angst, I can pull out my stash of notes and remember these sweeter moments of tender communication.

Today I opened her closet door to grab her dirty clothes and found last night's gym clothes on the floor, and....a note: "I do not know where to put these close. PS. They are clean."

I giggled as I grabbed my camera, anxious to preserve the moment when she actually cared about leaving clothes on her closet floor, about keeping her room clean. Unfortunately, I am confident this phase will also pass.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

i love this. she's a writer like her mommy!

don't you sort of think blogging helps you preserve moments like these?

Jill said...

Thanks for the comment Brooke...my lone reader. sniff. sniff.

Actually, Tony says he's reading me too, he just doesn't want to comment. :(

I totally agree. My main motivation for doing this crazy blog thing is to preserve these small moments. They may seem trivial, but twenty years from now I will be so so happy that I wrote them down.

Brooke said...

aaron doesn't comment on mine either. he told me it's just easier to yell it to me from across the house.

but they don't understand how fun the comments are for US.