Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Six Months

I used to talk to my dad every day. Every. Single. Day. I worked for him for fifteen years of my adult life. But even on those days when I wasn't in the office, he would call me each day to chat.

The last few years of his life, things were a bit different and I didn't talk to him each day. I missed it. I missed him. Sometimes it would be a few weeks in between our conversations. But never more than that.

Today marks the six month anniversary of his death. I have been thinking about him so much. So many things big and small to miss about him. But I think the thing I miss most is just being able to talk to him. Just hearing his voice on the other end of the phone. I have never gone six long months without talking to my dad.

My dad was one of the most positive people I know. Always upbeat, cheerful, encouraging. I miss that influence in my life. I miss hearing his stories. I miss him making me laugh or making difficult things in my life seem light. I miss his advice. I miss him making me feel better.

I miss his voice.

I miss him.

More today than yesterday. More than last week or last month. More than four or five months ago.

The longer it goes, the harder it is to remember the sound of his voice. The harder it is to recall the warmth of his spirit.

Six months feels like forever.

Do something for me.....call your dad today and tell him that you love him.

I would if I could.

3 comments:

Laurel said...

calling him now.
really i am.

thanks for the sweet invitation.
you're amazing.

jana said...

Jill,
I LOVE how you talk about your DAD. It brings tears to my eyes.
Thanks for the GREAT advice...
XOXO

On another note: LOVE MILES...He is so tender and sweet. Also, very excited to see the newest Parkinson...
Hope all is well with you... Let me know if you need an afternoon drink... I deliver...

Rick Sunderlage said...

Jill,
You inspire me! Thank you! I am sorry for your pain and am extremely grateful for your friendship.
Rachelle